A Midsummer berry cake with recipe
Midsummer's eve has arrived but the weather isn't really agreeing with the festive mood. That's fine with me. We got plenty of flowers, good food and mood - and a little cocktail bar to raise the spirits!
This cake is ending my midsummer posts. We got a romantic cake with strawberry baked without refined sugars, with wholegrain spelt flour. Lightly salted with citrus hints. Filled with raspberry and topped with delicious mascarpone. To make the cake vegan swop the mascarpone vegan creme fraiche. The cake is egg free.
Nothing spells midsummer more than wild flowers and I must confess that I enjoy decorating the cake just as much as I do eating it. Wild flowers eakesthe prettiest cakes!
The Swedish summer cakes are often made extra juicy by adding a fresh accent of orange lemonade to the cake mixture.
A midsummer berry cake
Makes one cake
125 g coconut oil
125 g honey (or agave syrup for a vegan option)
⅔ cup nut milk (Iused almond milk)
zest of ½ orange or lemon (optional)
1 banana, mashed
¼ cup mango or orange juice
2 tsp vanilla extract
250 g spelt flour
2 tsp baking powder
75 gram cacao powder
⅔ tsp fine salt
½ tsp cardamom
200 gram mascarpone or cottage cheese (or vegan creme fraiche)
75 gr raspberries, frozen or fresh
3 tbsp white cashew cream (optional)
2 tbsp honey or agave syrup (vegan)
200 g mascarpone (for vegan creme fraiche)
3 tbsp honey or agave syrup
1 tsp lemon juice
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
a pinch of salt
a dusting cinnamon
0.75 - 1 liter strawberries, halved
1. Heat up your oven to 180 ℃.
2. Grease a 20 cm spring form pan with coconut oil.
3. In a mixing bowl, add your dry ingredients. Mix well.
4. Melt the coconut oil slowly in a pan. In a bowl; add mashed banana, almond milk, vanilla extract, juice, orange zest, and honey to the pan and the melted coconut oil.
5. Mix the moist ingredients together with a whisk, by hand or use an electric mixer.
5. Pour the wet mix into the bowl with dry ingredients and mix well. Mix together.
6. Pour the dough mixture into the greased form.
7. Make the top surface flat and even using a dough scraper or a spoon.
7. Bake in 180 ℃ for 1 hour. Test with a thin stick to see that it comes out dry and clean to know if the cake is done. Bake it longer if needs it. Let the cake rest and cool.
THE RASPBERRY FILLING
1. Mix raspberries with the quark or vegan creme fraiche, cashew cream and honey
2.Set aside in the fridge until montage.
THE MASCARPONE ICING
1. Mix the topping ingredients together by whipping it briskly and set aside.
1. When the cake is cool, gently half it with a knife and lift off the top and set aside carefully.
2. Add a generous layer of raspberry filling on the the cake base.
3. Gently place the top cake half on top of the raspberry filling.
4. Carefully add a thick even layer of the mascarpone mix to the top of the cake.
5. Decorate placing the halved strawberries on top of it all. It’s beautiful and festive to add flowers and berries of different sorts around the base of the cake, as you can see on my photograph.
Voila, the cake is done, serve direct and enjoy the summer flavor with sparkling wine.